What Does It Mean?


Ever wondered what educational acronyms actually mean? Visit our comprehensive glossary here

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's)

Got a question? Please let us know here and we can add it to our FAQ section





Westfield Family Of Schools
Westfield Family Of Schools


For general teaching terms please see here.



K - SEN Support


Your child is receiving over and above the Quality First Teaching that all of our children receive, to support them in their specific area of need. They may also have access to the advice of an Outside Professional e.g. Speech and Language Therapist, Educational Psychologist etc.  regarding their individual needs.


Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP)

This was previously known as a Statement of SEN*

*If your child has a Statement of SEN this will be changed over to an EHCP by the Local Authority. You will be contacted when it is your child's turn to go through this process. If you have any questions about this please speak to your child's SENCO.


Your child is legally entitled to a certain amount of hours support each week. This support can include in class support, small group work or 1 to 1 support. 



SEN CATEGORY (Area of Need)


Cognition and Learning Difficulties


SpLD - Specific Learning Difficulties


MLD - Moderate Learning Difficulties


SLD - Severe Learning Difficulties


PMLD - Profound and Multiple Learning Difficulties 


Social, Emotional and Mental Health Difficulties


ADHD - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder 


ADD - Attention Deficit Disorder


Attachment Disorder


Communication and Interaction Needs


SLCN - Speech, Language and Communication Needs


ASD - Autism Spectrum Disorder 


Sensory and/or Physical Needs


VI - Visually Impairment


HI - Hearing Impairment


MSI - Multi-Sensory Impairment


PD - Physical Difficulty




MED - Complex Medical Needs



Print Print | Sitemap
© 2013 Westfield Family Of Schools